POPCORN has always been a classic movie theater treat. Loaded with butter or caramel – and usually with a side of M&Ms and a large Coke – we don’t necessarily think of it as a nutritious choice of snack. But when made at home, popcorn can actually be quite healthy, cheap …and fun! Here are a few ideas of some simple and delicious popcorn options.
I guess first it would be helpful to learn how to make basic popcorn at home. All you need is: a stovetop, a pot, popcorn kernels, oil, and salt.
1. Turn the stove to medium heat to start.
2. Place a single layer of kernels into the pot and pour the oil to almost cover the kernels.
3. Turn the temperature to high heat, and place the lid on the pot.
4. Listen to the popping! When the pops are slowing down, about 3 seconds apart, the popcorn is ready and should be taken off the heat.
5. Put the first batch in a bowl, sprinkle some salt, ENJOY!
Now here comes the exciting part: (recipe amounts are for about 10 cups of popcorn)
Sweet Spice Popcorn
4 tbsp butter
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp vanilla extract
Melt butter, add all ingredients, pour over popcorn. (Can also be made with less or no butter).
Italian Breadstick Popcorn
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp parsley
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
Mix all spices into the popcorn. Drizzle the olive oil over. Best to add flavoring while popcorn is still hot.
Coloured Fruity Popcorn
2 tbsp butter
½ cup sugar
1 ½ tbspcorn syrup or honey
2 ½ tbsp coloredjello powder
Over low heat, mix all ingredients together. Pour over popcorn and mix the colour around. For best results, spread the colored popcorn onto a baking sheet and bake at 300 for 15 minutes. Let cool.
Enjoy the popping! And feel free to share some of your favorite popcorn recipes with us!
~Love From Our Kitchen to Yours